For I will Yet Praise Him

"Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my savior and my God."

I found it interesting that this verse is repeated twice in Psalm 42 and once in Psalm 43. I read those chapters this morning with a new life set ablaze in my heart. It might be the excitement of Poland (which becomes closer and closer everyday) that is but I feel a new spring in my step.
As I read the word this morning I was brought to tears at these words:

"My tears have been my food day and night, while men say to me all day long, "where is your God?" These things I remember as I pour out my soul: how I used to go with the multitude, leading the procession to the house of God, with shouts of Joy and thanksgiving among the festive throng."

Then David writes, why so downcast O my soul? I long and hunger for this spirit and fire that I feel I need more of. As I have said before, there are days - weeks - when I feel like a could run a marathon with the passion that burns inside of me; but then I hit a dry spot and I don't know what to do. All these memories of vigor haunt my because I don't feel it.

"deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me. By day the Lord directs his love, at night his song is with me - a prayer to the God of my life."

As nice as all those mushy and exhilirating feelings are however, my faith is not to be built on that. It is in the desert where I grow and where my faith is founded strongly on God my rock. God is always there, and I have faith that he loves me and is guiding me. I am not walking alone and he will provide in my time of need.

"send forth your light and your truth, let them guide me; let them bring me to your Holy mountain, to the place where you dwell. Then will I go to the altar of God, to God my joy and my delight. I will praise you with the harp, O God, my God."

When I read this I remembered the words my mother said to me a few months back: "go to the mountain, daughter."

I felt a small nudge on my shoulder, and a push forward as the Lord gently reminded me of who he is, and still what he desires of me: to come before him with my willing heart, ready to serve and love him. I should be making him my first priority - my joy and delight, the first one I look to, praising him in the good and the bad, the hard and the easy.

Psalm 44 goes on to read:

"it was not by their sword that they won the land, nor did their arm bring them victory; it was your right hand, your arm, and the light of your face, for you loved them.

You are my King and my God, who decrees victories for Jacob. Through you we push back our enemies; through your name we trample our foes. 

God being our first and our last, we fight the good fight, pushing against the blows of the enemy and winning, not by our strength but by the Lords. As we seek him in his word and in communion through prayer, we find all we need. He is the rock that pours out water in the desert and gives us the strength to move forward. He leads us into battle and gives us victory.

As I finish my last exam, and begin the final preparations for the beginning of a whole new journey, I remember to look to my rock, remembering the good things he has done and the love he has for me. He is not looking back - he is looking forward and I will follow him. In all things I make him first and fight my battles the faith, my sword and shield.


I do not trust in my bow, my sword does not bring me victory; but you give us over our enemies, you put our adversaries to shame. In God we make our boast all day long, and we will praise your name forever."


Comments

Popular Posts